Why do expectant mothers usually get angry, irritable and cranky? This emotional change during pregnancy is because of the hormonal changes. Your anger bouts will have negative effects on your unborn baby (low birth-weight) and will result in miscarriage or complications during delivery.
Every woman has a unique body type and this holds true for pregnancy too. It is natural for a woman to exhibit unusual emotions such as agitation and anger at unexpected times during this period. The undergoing hormonal changes not only contribute to short temper, but are responsible for physical changes such as nausea, swollen feet, fatigue, headaches, tender breasts, insomnia, constipation and heartburn.
In order to deal with anger, expectant mothers need to ascertain the following.
- Healthy eating choices: Pregnancy diet must be followed strictly in order to rule out the chances of any negative effects such as an overweight offspring. It is more important if you’re pregnant and working. Increase the intake of carbohydrates and proteins in your diet, recommended eating options such as nuts, green leafy vegetables and fortified wholegrain breads. In between the meals, you may have salads and fresh fruits.
- Staying active: Regular exercise helps in managing anger well during pregnancy. Practicing simple yoga positions for 15 minutes a day or taking a walk for some time helps relieve physical as well as emotional discomforts. You may also opt for stretching exercises. This will keep a check on faulty blood circulation and prevent problems such as swollen feet and back ache. Moreover, doing manageable household chores is another way of staying active.
- Give yourself time to relax and enjoy: Spare some quality time for yourself, be it watching a movie, listening to songs or going for a spa therapy.
- Let others know before argument heats up: Whenever you think a discussion seems so bothersome that it will get you fuming with anger, simply walk away.
- Be comfortable: Be comfortable, wherever you are. Wear comfortable clothing that won’t make you irritable. Loose fitted clothes will also enable you to breathe well.